Coastguard Whakatane encourage all boaties to call Coastguard
on leaving port and on returning. Also during the day when
1. All vessels intending to depart or enter across the
Thornton, Opotiki and Ohiwa bars are asked to advise their
intention to do so prior to the crossing.
2. CG Whakatane will log the call and monitor the vessel
3. Once safely across the bar the vessel reports it's safe
4. If no safe crossing report is recieved within 10 minutes
by CG Whakatane the vessel will be called on VHF 80 and
60 to confirm the safe crossing.
5. If the safety of the vessel cannot be confirmed an "all
stations": call will be made and the matter referred
to a Marine SAR Advisor and the Police.
6. Boat owners using the Thornton, Opotiki and Ohiwa bars
are encouraged to adopt this practice.